Success.

on Monday, April 20, 2009

"We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service relationship to humanity."

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


Throughout my life, I have never wondered why others have gone out of their way to lend a helping hand to someone in need. It has always felt natural on some level.


In both my Anthropology and Psychology classes, I have been continuously told that humans are social creatures and to develop properly, we must have interaction with other people. I would feel that not only would we need to have social interaction to be stimulated, but that we would need positive interaction, as well, to become balanced person.


As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said, judging our successes in life have always leaned towards what type of wealth we have posessed and whether we have all that we have ever wanted. Our "service relationship to humanity" should have the most powerful impact on how others see us and what we have contributed and truly gained throughout life.


I feel that if you want to truly inspire others, you must reach out and do something for the community. Looking at the lives of Mother Theresa and Martin Luther King, Jr., we can see how great of an impact giving back and trying to better the lives of others can truly have on a community, a nation, and the world.


Bill Clinton once said that "volunteers are vital to enabling this country to live up to the true promise of its heritage." What is truly important to me is to make someone's life a little bit better through the actions that I take and the way I choose to live my life. I hope that one day, I will be seen as someone who has truly given back all of the things that I have been given. I would love to be known as someone who trys not to put herself first and trys to inspire others to do the same.

1 comments:

Has an issue said...

I agree, most people when asked to described success, they think of money and luxuries. Many people don’t see the inner beauty and personal enrichment that kind actions to others can do. The goal of humanity is to survive and thrive, how can we do this when everyone has a one track mind about money, money, and more money. It seems as the emerging generations keep diminishing in the quality of people they are. Kids are growing up to be rude and disrespectful, and the overall quality of youth is diminishing. Hopefully, something will change our path, and bump us in the line needed to succeed as an entirety, as humanity.

Post a Comment